Help support TMP

"What was Privateer Press' big announcement at GenCon?" Topic

14 Posts

All members in good standing are free to post here. Opinions expressed here are solely those of the posters, and have not been cleared with nor are they endorsed by The Miniatures Page.

For more information, see the TMP FAQ.

Back to the Conventions and Wargame Shows Message Board

1,143 hits since 14 Aug 2009
©1994-2014 Bill Armintrout
Comments or corrections?

Schogun Supporting Member of TMP14 Aug 2009 5:20 p.m. PST

Today at 4pm?

Schogun Supporting Member of TMP14 Aug 2009 5:48 p.m. PST

Found it elsewhere -- the future development of a video game.

Personal logo Editor in Chief Bill The Editor of TMP Fezian14 Aug 2009 5:58 p.m. PST

Yawn

Personal logo Dentatus Supporting Member of TMP Fezian14 Aug 2009 6:42 p.m. PST

It's not about the "hobby" – it's about disposable income.

And video games make money.

lugal hdan14 Aug 2009 7:25 p.m. PST

Most video games don't even make it into production, let alone make money. Some however DO make tons of money, but if you could predict success, then all would be successful.

I think that a Warmachines game, done right, could be a lot of fun.

I wish Privateer good luck, and I hope they can reach a decent compromise with the developer. Remember that even the first Fallout game (which was supposed to be GURPS) almost didn't make it because of creative direction differences.

RudyNelson Inactive Member14 Aug 2009 8:12 p.m. PST

From an old fuddy duddy, if it does not pretain to miniature or board wargames then I have no interest.

I check TMP for miniature related topics. So I was hoping that a Privateer announcement would be in the miniatures genre.

I could care less about real time video action games. Seems to me that those types of games are mainly for a different generation.

So the announcement was a big let down.

Personal logo mmitchell Sponsoring Member of TMP14 Aug 2009 9:47 p.m. PST

I hope they do well. There's always a (slim) chance that a Warmachine game could lure some kids away from the game console to a gaming table…

Yeah, I'm an optimist. wink

Personal logo nazrat Supporting Member of TMP15 Aug 2009 6:09 a.m. PST

I couldn't be less interested. First, it's Warmachine which I dislike intensely although the minis are stunning. Then it's yet another video game which will have to compete with (most likely) far better video games that are already around. PP should stick with what they know best-- miniature wargames!

PigmentedMiniatures Fezian15 Aug 2009 7:38 a.m. PST

I know it sorta off topic but it goes with mmitchell's remark about getting kids away from the video consol. Some kids came in my shop the other day and saw a box of Space Marines and were amazed that somebody is making toys from the computer game.

MechanicalHorizon15 Aug 2009 10:05 a.m. PST

The presentation was more about getting Privateer's IP "out there" in order to draw more interest.

Most of what they had to show was some pre-production screen-shots and 3D models, there was also a lot of "if's" so it was easy to tell this project was just started shortly before Gen-Con.

Hopefully it will do well, but how many times can a RTS/FPS/MMO be made? Will there really be anything "new" or "different" than any other computer game?

Personal logo nazrat Supporting Member of TMP15 Aug 2009 1:44 p.m. PST

The background. The story. The images. All those have the possibility of being different from other games of that style of play. But will they be good/different enough? Who knows. I still think they should stick to miniature games…

crhkrebs Inactive Member15 Aug 2009 3:43 p.m. PST

It's not about the "hobby" it's about disposable income.
And video games make money.

Miley Cyrus makes money too. Still yawn.

Ralph

IronMike17 Aug 2009 7:11 p.m. PST

So the news came down that there's going to be an official warmachine video game! la-de-Bleeped texting-da! While I like the models, I'm no Warmachine fan for various reasons (which I won't go into here) and as my years rack up my interest in video games has steadily decreased. Now if they had announces that they would be doing something sensible, Like expanding the range of their lower-cost plastic minis, I might actually pay attention.

AndrewGPaul Inactive Member21 Aug 2009 4:38 p.m. PST

They are doing that – the next two Trollblood and Everblight units will be plastic, as will the Retribution elven warjacks.

Sorry - only trusted members can post on the forums.