Help support TMP

"ECW Pike & Shotte unit question" Topic

13 Posts

All members in good standing are free to post here. Opinions expressed here are solely those of the posters, and have not been cleared with nor are they endorsed by The Miniatures Page.

For more information, see the TMP FAQ.

Back to the Old School Wargaming Message Board

Back to the Terrain and Scenics Message Board

1,385 hits since 20 May 2002
©1994-2018 Bill Armintrout
Comments or corrections?

nevinsrip Sponsoring Member of TMP28 May 2018 11:55 p.m. PST

I got these from Hal MWAN about a thousand years ago. There are 8 pieces total, 2 bunkers, 2 straight sections and 4 end sections. They interlock to form a larger piece.
They are made out of some sort of casting stone and are very heavy. The painting is quite good and I'm not sure if they are factory painted or collector painted. They appear to be for 28 mm use.

So, what the hell are these and who made them?

[URL=http://s222.photobucket.com/user/nevinsrip/media/011_zps1cszogjd.jpg.html]

[/URL]

[URL=http://s222.photobucket.com/user/nevinsrip/media/012_zps8r8s6ctg.jpg.html]

[/URL]

nevinsrip Sponsoring Member of TMP29 May 2018 12:01 a.m. PST

There goes that BUG AGAIN.

KhivaJoe Inactive Member29 May 2018 2:39 a.m. PST

They are Dutch fortress Bleeped texts produced many moons ago by – I believe Village Green, when they were based in York (in Merrie Englande). – The chap who founded Village Green was a very nice chap – although the resins used back then were heavy and stank to high heaven.
These were made for a specific game – and then sold commercially – which I think was based on an incident in the struggle for independence in Spanish Flanders – or it may have been another Dutch/Spanish turn up.
Basically they were defensive fortifications set at intervals along a Bleeped text to both fight off sea-borne assault, or attacks along the length of the Bleeped text.
Some very interesting potential scenarios.. even for later (I have in mind the original unpleasantness was 16th century)once the smell has evaporated…

KhivaJoe Inactive Member29 May 2018 2:42 a.m. PST

Clearly the bleep censor thought I was talking about the LGBT community and not ancient Dutch sea defences!!! The world has gone mad when the secondary use of a word is assumed rather than its primary meaning.
It makes me wonder who on here has been insulting someone with that particular epithet!!!! Lol!!!(See – I can be modern!!!!)

Oberlindes Sol LIC29 May 2018 8:58 a.m. PST

Those of us who have graduated cum laude feel your pain.

link

22ndFoot29 May 2018 8:59 a.m. PST

I assume that you saw this sorry tale:

link

emckinney29 May 2018 8:59 a.m. PST

I was very, very confused when I started reading your reply. I just couldn't think what swear word would fit in there … "Maybe he's saying that they look like piles of something? Or that they were worthless as defenses?"

goragrad29 May 2018 12:26 p.m. PST

That cake incident is both sad and amusing, but to a great extent reflects the lack of a Classical education in the general culture.

The bleeping of a word in common use in irrigation, canal building, flood control, etc. is pathetic.

Must say it also took the followup remark for me to tumble to what had been bleeped as well. Particularly as in the past when referring to certain persons the word deemed offensive was almost exclusively spelled with a 'y' rather than an 'i.'

By the way, nice terrain…

dwight shrute29 May 2018 3:53 p.m. PST

definitely village green , wish I had kept my ones

nevinsrip Sponsoring Member of TMP29 May 2018 6:32 p.m. PST

C'mon what's the damn word!!!

Dwight, wanna buy these?

mollinary30 May 2018 6:09 a.m. PST

Dyk*

nevinsrip Sponsoring Member of TMP30 May 2018 12:58 p.m. PST

OHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!! LOL LOL

Man, people need to get a life!

arthur181531 May 2018 2:14 a.m. PST

Years ago I wanted to show my history pupils the Agincourt Carol, but the school computers would only show the first few verses.

When I checked at home, I discovered it was a reference to bondage – as in feudal serfdom – that had sparked the censorship.

Lucky I was able – on another occasion – to demonstrate an Enfield percussion rifle and refer to its cock, nipple and balls without a computer!

Sorry - only verified members can post on the forums.