Help support TMP

"WW 2 LRDG and/or SAS desert pink vehicles " Topic

22 Posts

All members in good standing are free to post here. Opinions expressed here are solely those of the posters, and have not been cleared with nor are they endorsed by The Miniatures Page.

For more information, see the TMP FAQ.

Back to the WWII Discussion Message Board

Back to the WWII Painting Guides Message Board

Back to the Painting Message Board

Action Log

16 Feb 2004 11:55 a.m. PST
by Editor in Chief Bill

• Removed from 18th Century Discussion board

05 Oct 2006 1:33 p.m. PST
by Editor in Chief Bill

• Removed from WWII Discussion board
  • Crossposted to WWII Painting Guides board
  • Crossposted to WWII 20mm Figures board

3,997 hits since 17 May 2002
©1994-2014 Bill Armintrout
Comments or corrections?

Forrest Inactive Member17 May 2002 4:41 p.m. PST

Recently purchased Matchbox's 1/76 scale plastic kit No. 40173, L.R.D.G. 30cwt Chevrolet and Willys Jeep along with Osprey's book "The Long Range Desert Group 1940-1945"

What would be good acrylic or other water base paint colors to use for the desert pink color with which some vehicles were painted in part or in whole?

Thanks.

Clayton Inactive Member17 May 2002 6:11 p.m. PST

You could try mixing it with some flesh, pink, red, white and light brown. I have a Stewart that is like this with a spiral pattern of 'Mickey Mouse Pattern' black. What I did was.....

First a darker version of the pink mix, then a heavy dry brush of a lightened version (white added to mix). Add the Black (wich was common, though not nesacerily for LRDG) or what have you camoflague patern at this point if you want.

Dry brush the whole thing with a thin layer of pinkmix-white and then a very thin layer of off white. Highlight it with pure white just a bit. Tin foil is good for some cloth stowage, could 'rope it' with dental floss. Britania makes some good 20mm LRDG figures, even if you usualy think they are too bulky (I think they have character myself). I think Dixom makes some too. I don't know of anyone else who makes them.

unknown member17 May 2002 6:19 p.m. PST

This may not be too helpful but I still have and use Polly S Desert Pink to do this task. The code number on the bottle is 500810. Since Polly S is no longer available except in the occasional closeout bin it may take some looking to find. Probably just something to keep in the back of your mind if you come across some old stock somewhere.
-Allan

yankincan Supporting Member of TMP17 May 2002 7:43 p.m. PST

I think a very good colour would be Testors 'Flat Desert Tan'. It has a pink tint to it and I often use it as a skin tone. I am pretty sure this is the colour they intended it to be used for. Best of luck, Rob Elston(yankincan)

Forrest Inactive Member17 May 2002 9:53 p.m. PST

Hey, thanks y'all.
This just in: Got a new catalog from a place in Florida I have done some mail order business with, Model Expo, who is releasing from a company named Model Shipways a line of acrylics mixed to match Humbrol oil base paints(On account of nasty reactions I cannot use oil base paints and other petrochemicals).

There is also a line of WW 2 ship cammo colors which includes Royal Navy 1941 colors with a dusky pink - might have to try that.

And I apologize for my goof which got this cross-posted to the 18th century board, I'll get this down eventually.

Will take more ideas. ? Vallejo from Spain got a good color?

109WAY Inactive Member30 May 2002 12:08 a.m. PST

Hi Forrest,
If you looking for more desert stuff than E Mail to;
ART-TOYS in Belgium they have
-Ford LRDG
-Marmon-Herrington Mk.IIIa
art-toys@pandora.be

ashauace69 Inactive Member20 Jun 2002 7:24 a.m. PST

Polly S used to have a Nipple Pink color ( which they have renamed -Politically correct you know) that was great for that period .
any light pink clor will work and remember that it FADES alot out there!
A good dry brush of off- white works well . Also on the sand / tan color. I now use by the way Craft paints in 2oz. botles for $1.oo or less on sale . More choises more blending etc.

CCollins02 Jul 2002 5:05 p.m. PST

Umm, Sorry to spoil your fun, But I was under the impression that LRDG/SAS WW2 Vehicles were painted in Schemes that were typical of the 8th Army (ie Pale stone/sand or the "Caunter" or "battleship" three tone Scheme), and pink was only used Post war by the SAS on Landrovers.

Have a look at Osprey Elite The LRDG for a guide, rather than get on the net and have people blow smoke up your collective arses.
A little research can go a long way.
Of cause, If you like Pink trucks then go right ahead, or wargame the approriate SAS actions that involved forementioned colour schemes.

Chris.

CCollins02 Jul 2002 5:06 p.m. PST

Of cause I could be wrong :)

Black Bull03 Jul 2002 12:57 p.m. PST

There was a British 'pink' paint SCC 11B described as sandy pink this may not have got to the desert though.What was certainly use in the desert was Camcolour A17 and Camemulsion A33 both were pink.
Source: ref WO201/2843:G(Cam) GHQ MEF. camouflage report no 1,part 1:February 1942
This does not mean that SAS/LRDG vehicles used the above just that it is possible.

BB

CCollins03 Jul 2002 4:49 p.m. PST

Hmm, so there was a pinkish desert colour after all. I wonder why it isn't mentioned in "Desert Tracks"?

Although I can imagine what would happen when the RSM Caught sight of some of his tanks in their new livery.

(full yell) "THAT MAN THERE! Why is your tank Pink?"

Pvt Atkins "(wimper)That's all we've got Sar-"

"Are you Sick? Don't You Like Girls?"

"No, er, Yes Sar-"

"You 'orrid Little Man, Give me a Look at that paint tin"

The RSM's brows knitted in concentration and there was momentary silence.

"DESERT PINK! When I find who's reponsible for this lark I'll have them polishing Hobnails for the term of their natural lives." He Stormed of towards the Quatermasters Stores fuming dangerously.

Black Bull04 Jul 2002 1:46 p.m. PST

CCollins,like it :-)))
Bit more info the WO report is concerned with all types of camo not just tanks,trucks,etc in fact most of it is about buildings and airfield runways.Wouldn't expect regular units to use the 'pink' or indeed the 'milk'and'cream' that are also listed but SAS/LRDG are a maybe.Must say that personally i would just use Light Stone unless i had a very good source.

BB

Forrest Inactive Member06 Jul 2002 8:16 p.m. PST

Hey, back again.

Uhh, CCollins, about that book, read my first sentence again, it is their descriptions on pages 45,46,47 of the color plates that raises the question to begin with.

As far as Osprey's books, see also, photo caption page 34,in book "British Tanks in N. Africa 1940-42"by Bryan Perrett with colour plates by Peter Sarsonand Tony Bryan, which says"The Desert Pink finish of T.145029 has been marked with a white guideline by a Camouflage Unit who were called away before completing the painting of the Brigade's tanks, leaving some of them to fight at Second Alamein like this."
See also photo captions on pages 33 and 31.

Osprey again, "The Sherman Tank in British Service 1942-45" by John Sandars, with colour plates by Michael Roffe and Mike Chappell, names Desert Pink in photo caption on page 7.

And by the way, I was born in a desert area: sand there and on beaches too can run through anything from white to yellow to tan to grey to red to brown to pink to blue to black depending upon what rock or coral it decayed from.

See also, page 160 in B.T. White's book,Tanks and other Armoured Fighting Vehicles, 1942-45,copyright 1975, Blandford Press, fourth paragraph,
"British armoured fighting vehicles in North Africa (except those of the First Army in Tunisia) were painted in various sand colors, ranging from yellow through various stone-coloured shades to pink."

So, either half a dozen authors and illustrators writing over a period of two and a half decades, and their various source materials and interview subjects as well, are lying or the tanks and trucks were that color.

Which is most likely?

Forrest Inactive Member06 Jul 2002 8:25 p.m. PST

And now for something completely different, what kind of skit would Monty Python have done with a pink tank?

CCollins08 Jul 2002 8:56 p.m. PST

Oh Forrest, Never mind that! I was obviously on the grumpy pills that day.

As for Paint, try Humbrol 250. Its called desert sand or some-such but it's actually a sandy pink. However if thats not pink enough try mixing some up, you are hardly going to put your efforts into a modelling contest, and whatever you do someone will find something wrong with it, anyway.

Some folk are just like that.

Like me, for instance.

Forrest Inactive Member09 Jul 2002 4:45 p.m. PST

No offense taken, in fact I enjoyed your scene and passed on that little drama to a couple friends who got a good chuckle from it! And my girlfriend (yes, I like girls) laughed at my "dramatic reading" of it.

I am in the local chapter of the Armor Modeling and Preservation Society, AMPS, (the prototype and 1/35 scale guys), let me see if it is possible to quote Scott Conner from the May meeting minutes about my wargaming minis:
"Scott W. brought a ton of stuff. I think he just grabs enough stuff to carry in one trip before he walks out the door. And since he builds in 1/72 and 1/76 scale, that is a lot of stuff. He had plastic tanks, and metal tanks, and half built tanks, and finished tanks, and new tanks, and lots of figures and a ton of reference books. Scott is into war-gaming, and he does nice work on such a small scale. His stuff looks very good and all the right colors. I don't know how important that is to wargamers, but if it is, Scott does it right. (Insert picture here of Mike with look on face)"

Hey, it worked. That group had little knowledge of miniatures gamers and my involvement opened that world to them.
And yes, I do enjoy upsetting the imagined status quo in this nature of thing by doing things like bringing up questions about our assumtions of how things were.

Forrest Scott Wood

CCollins09 Jul 2002 6:15 p.m. PST

I'm pleased that you and your friends got some enjoyment out of my little scene. I'd also rescribe myself as a peculiar mix of Modeller/wargamer who likes to get the correct look of schemes and AFV's.
I still haven't built up a troop of El Alemain Shermans as I'm slowly converting some Nitto M4A1 hulls into direct vision slit hulls and lee style bogies are becoming harder to source. I might one day give up and get some from cromwell models, but they look a bit weird to me.

However I've always amazed at how people can be so zealously dogmatic about paint colours. its amazing how light conditions can change a colour, not to mention elemental effects such as fading or wear.

A good example of this: I reenact occasionally and am lucky to be an owner of a K&C repro Denison Smock, now I was using a couple of photos of me as references as I painted up some 25mm paras. One Photo was taken under overcast conditions and the other during a fine sunny day. During the fine sunny day there is far more contrast beween the sandy background colour and the green and brown camo colours than in the photo from the overcast day. In the first photo, the green looked to my eyes like Humbrol Light Olive, while in the second it looked more like Bronze green or Tamiya JA green.

I understand the need to have some sort of guidelines but ultimately colour assessment is very subjective, and some folk can take it a bit far.

Cheers

Forrest Inactive Member09 Jul 2002 6:37 p.m. PST

True on all counts.
And Shermans with Lee Bogies and three piece bolted noses.

And have you noticed that the ones who least care about the color were the ones who were out there getting shot at!
(my father was carrer navy and there is memory of once seeing five discernably different tints of "haze grey" down the side of his ship, and their matte/gloss varied as well!)

Here's a quote from p.4 where the comparative color swatches are given in that book by George R. Bradford,
"...it is easy enough to expect exact color, but it is far from simple to produce such an intangible."
"...and although he has a color chip from an actual vehicle to work from, this merely gives him the basic color, and the only time this presents itself is under ideal lighting conditions. For example, if the vehicle is at all angular, the only plane which will reflect light truly is that which is not in direct sunlight or shadow, and this could turn out to be a very small portion of the total vehicle."

I hold that it is more important to use a color which looks right than it is to use the "right" color.

And I hold that it is important for shapes of miniatures to "be right"in order for them to "look right".

(will I ever run out of something else to say?)
F.S.W.

Cacadore Inactive Member28 Sep 2006 6:33 p.m. PST

I've seen an LRDG jeep painted plain white: it's in a painting hanging in the Army Museum, Chelsea.

6milPhil05 Jan 2013 7:31 a.m. PST

The pink was also used on Reccie Spitfires, for early morning sorties.

Lion in the Stars05 Jan 2013 8:50 p.m. PST

(UN)Holy threadomancy! 7 years dead, this thread was. Let it lie in peace!

Marc the plastics fan13 Jan 2013 9:28 a.m. PST

Good info never goes out of date, so welcome back thread :-)

Sorry - only trusted members can post on the forums.